Monday, April 27, 2015

Aunt Betty's Violets

Today I had a memory of my Aunt Betty and a very young me sitting in the woods picking violets and finding a yellow one.  I don't think I've seen a yellow violet growing in the wild since, so this is a special memory for me.  My Aunt passed away several years ago, in her late 80's, and it's amazing how various memories float up every once in awhile.  She had no children of her own, so she spoiled all of her nieces and nephews and made us each feel special.  I also remember picking violets and making a little bouquet like this, surrounded with their leaves, for my Mom or Gramma in the spring - I still have a patch of purple violets in one of our gardens, and enjoy picking the tiny flowers to bring inside and put in a small vase.....they have a lovely soft smell!


supplies: Stampendous Build a Bouquet, (stems are from Simon's Artful Flowers), stamped in VersaMark and embossed in white, then watercolored with Spectrum Aqua markers Florals and Essential sets, Hero Arts sentiment from Remember set, Cornflower blue ink, Die-Namics doily die-cut, blue gingham ribbon, sequins, Doodlebug striped paper, Die-Namics Blueprints 20 scalloped die

She had the most beautiful blue eyes, like her father, and her brother, my Dad, so I chose to accent this with some touches of blue.  I miss you, Aunt Betty!

And since I've used a die-cut and my Spectrum Aqua Floral and Essential markers, I'd link to enter the Spectrum Noir April challenge.

6 comments:

Clare said...

What a beautiful tribute to your aunt, Lin! I LOVE your bouquet - so soft and pretty, and your coloring is awesome! The lace behind it is such a lovely touch!

adele holcomb said...

What a sweet memory and a pretty card!

LauraJane:) said...

Beautiful watercoloring Lin. Thanks for sharing such a happy memory!

Lisa Elton said...

I had no idea there were yellow violets!! This is lovely Lin, the gingham bow added the perfect touch of sweetness!

Linda said...

Lovely card. Your story reminds me of picking violets and lily of the valleys for my grandmother. Thanks for sharing!

Linda Beeson said...

Not only is your little bouquet too cute but LOVING the colors you used, great with the yellows